Sant’Elpidio a Mare sits on the hill overlooking the Valley of the Chienti and Tenna rivers. The medieval settlement dates probably back to the founding of the Abbey of Santa Croce al Chienti in IXth century.
Around the middle of XIIIth century the municipality received the privilege of being able to build the port and indeed followed a period of great prosperity thanks to the flourishing of the businesses. But Fermo, which does not tolerate the growing importance of this potential rival, in 1377 ever put on fire and destroyed four neighborhood and stole the relic of the Holy Thorn. The Elpidiensi rebuilt their city on the Hill, the current town.
Are part of the town the villages of Cascinare, Casette d’Ete and Castellano. In 1952 the harbour area of S. Elpidio becomes an independent municipality: Porto Sant’Elpidio.